Easily connect your digital business to millions of licensed songs.

BMI's innovations include The Digital Licensing Center, the first end to end automated online licensing system, and our automated music use reporting and digital fee payment systems. Today BMI serves many thousands of different websites, mobile applications and other digital services using BMI affiliated music.

Digital Licensing Overview

Website Music Performance Agreement

The Standard Website Music Performance Agreement typically applies for a commercial entity that has the potential to generate revenues from operating a website or mobile application but is not considered a Music Service, as defined under the Music Service tab. Some possible sources of revenue may be non-music related subscription fees, E-commerce, advertising, or sponsorships.

Learn More

daft punk photo

Corporate Image Website

The Corporate Image Website Music Performance Agreement applies if your website’s primary function is to promote your business or corporate brand, or generate little or no direct revenue from music. The Corporate Image License has a rate based on traffic to pages on your website.

Learn More

shakira photo

Non-Commercial Website

The Non-Commercial Website Music Performance License is offered to any bona fide 501(C)(3) Not-For-Profit Organizations, churches, schools, or other related charitable organizations to cover the use of BMI music on their web sites. The Non-Commercial Website License has a rate based on traffic to pages on your website.

Learn More

miles davis photo

Music Service

The Music Services License is offered to websites, mobile applications, or services (or subsections thereof), whose central focus is the transmission of audio and/or audio-visual material comprising predominantly feature uses of music (e.g., music-formatted radio, on-demand transmissions of music recordings or music videos, live concerts), as opposed to programming with background or incidental and/or occasional feature uses of music (e.g., news/talk radio, situational comedies, feature films).

Learn More

michael jackson photo

Audio Visual Services (AV)

The Audio Visual Services License applies to websites and applications that offer pure play audio-visual programming and generate (or have the potential to generate) revenues, and the overall use of music in the audio-visual programming made available on the Service is generally of the same nature and intensity as what is commonly understood in the cable and broadcast television industry as general entertainment audio-visual programming.

Learn More

taylor swift photo

Trusted by thousands of top businesses
licensee logos

Contact Us

Please contact us about:

Do I need a license?

A "performing right" is granted by the U.S. Copyright Act to owners of musical works to license those works for public performance. Businesses which typically license music include websites, mobile applications, online radio, broadcast radio and TV stations, and brick-and-mortar establishments such as nightclubs, hotels and retail stores that use music in an effort to enhance their business.

Learn More

Types of Copyrights

The exclusive right of the copyright owner, granted by the U.S. Copyright Law, to authorize the performance or transmission of the work in public.

Learn More

Bundled License:

CCS WorshipCast

Digital Licensing FAQ

Q: What type of music license do I need from BMI for my website and/or mobile application?

Q: How do I figure out my music license fee for my website and/or mobile application?

Q: How often do I pay the music license fee?

Q: What is the term of a digital music license?

Q: What is covered by my digital music license?

Q: How does BMI define Gross Revenues for the purpose of a digital music license?

Q: How does BMI define “Page Impression”, “Music Page” and “Music Page Impression”?

Q: What if my Company has more than one website and/or mobile application with music?

Q: What are my reporting requirements under my digital music license agreement?

Q: What is my responsibility for reporting music that is played on my service?

Q: What is public performance?

Q: What is a BMI music performance license?

Q: Why do I need a license for my website and/or mobile application?

Q: How can BMI-licensed music help my business on the web?

Q: What kinds of businesses does BMI license?

Q: Who does BMI represent?

Q: Where do my license fees go?

Q: Why are there different license types?

Q: Most of the artists on my service are unsigned, or on small independent labels. Why do I need a BMI license?

Q: The music on my website and/or mobile application is for the purpose of promoting record sales. Don’t songwriters receive compensation from album sales?

Q: Is a song clip that is 30 seconds or less exempt from public performance fees?

Q: What are all the other rights issues I need to take care of in order to play music on my website and/or mobile application?

Q: What if I have additional questions regarding BMI’s Digital License?